Below are various articles, presentations, websites and videos that we like and hope you find useful. If you have additional suggestions, we’d love to hear from you! Please send us your thoughts at Info@ThunderbirdLeadership.com.
Selected presentations made by Thunderbird Leadership Consulting
- Creating An Engaged Workforce: HFMA Texas Lone Star Chapter; Dorothy Sisneros
- Employee Focus in a Time of Change: HFMA Texas Lone Star Chapter; Dorothy Sisneros
- Transformational Leadership: Arizona Women in Higher Education Conference; Dorothy Sisneros
- Pursuing Magnet Designation: Nevada Organization of Nurse Leaders; Amy Steinbinder
- Applying Intelligent Complex Adaptive Systems Theory to Healthcare Innovation Cycle: AONE Annual Meeting; Amy Steinbinder with Kathy Scott, PhD, RN, FACHE
- Talent Management- Creating a Leadership Pipeline: Chair Academy Annual Conference; Dorothy Sisneros with Rufus Glasper and Josh Mackey
- Positive Deviance: Phoenix Health Services Advisory Group; Amy Steinbinder with Liz Lykrt
- Root Cause Analysis: Interdisciplinary Seminar, Colleges of Pharmacy, Medicine and Nursing, University of Arizona; Amy Steinbinder
- Who’s in Your Network- Building Connections: Nevada Hospital Association Annual Meeting; Dorothy Sisneros
Only Skin Deep – Reassessing the Case for Diversity, 2011, https://www.ced.org/pdf/Deloitte_-_Only_Skin_Deep.pdf
Banaji, M. R. and Greenwald, A. G. (2013). Blindspot. Delacourt Press.
Livermore, D. (2016). Driven by Difference: How great companies fuel innovation through diversity. American Management Association.
Slaughter, A. (2015). Unfinished Business: Women, Men, Work and Family. Random House.
Steele, C. (2010) Whistling Vivaldi: And Other Clues to How Stereotypes Affect Us. W.W. Norton and Company.
Young, S. (2007). Micromessaging: Why Great Leadership is Beyond Words. McGraw-Hill.
Practice and Issues in Education
Tatum, Beverly Daniel. Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? Perseus Books: New York, 1997.
Andersen, E. (2006). Growing great employees: turning ordinary people into extraordinary performers. Portfolio Hardcover.
Goffee, R. and Jones, G. (2009). Clever: leading your smartest, most creative people. Harvard Business Press.
Goldsmith, M. and Carter, L., eds. (2009). Best Practices in Talent Management. Pfeiffer.
Kaye, B. and Jordan-Evans, S. (2014). Love em or lose em: getting good people to stay. (5th ed.) Berrett-Koehler Publishing.
Kloster, T. and Swire, W. (2015). Anytime coaching: unleashing employee performance. (2nd ed.) Management Concepts, Inc.
Tulgan, B. (2015). Bridging the soft skills gap: how to teach the missing basics to today’s young talent. Jossey-Bass.
Baird, K. (2008). Raising the bar on service excellence. Golden Lamp Press.
Crotts, J.C. et al. (2005). Aligning organizational processes with mission: the case of service excellence. Academy of Management Executive, 19(3), 54-68.
Spector, R. and McCarthy, P. (2012). The Nordstrom way to customer service excellence. (2nd ed.) Wiley.
Blanchard, K. (2009). Leading at a higher level. Pearson Prentice Hall.
Blanchard, K. and Miller, M. (2014). The secret: what good leaders know and do. (3rd ed.) Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
Charam, R. et al. (2010). The leadership pipeline: how to build the leadership-powered company. (2nd ed.) Jossey-Bass.
Collins. J. (2005). Good to great and the social sectors. Jim Collins (publisher).
Collins, J. (2009). How the mighty fall. Jim Collins (publisher).
Gustavson, P. and Liff, S. (2014). A Team of leaders: empowering every member to take ownership, demonstrate initiative, and deliver results. AMACOM.
Grenny, J. et al. (2013) Influencer. (2nd ed.) McGraw-Hill Education.
Kotter, J. et al. (2016). Our iceberg is melting: changing and succeeding under any conditions. (2nd ed.) Portfolio.
Lencioni, P. (2007). Overcoming the five dysfunctions of a team. Jossey-Bass.
Kouzes, J.M. and Posner, B. Z. (2012). The leadership challenge. (5th ed.) Jossey-Bass.
Patterson, J. et al. (2011). Crucial conversations. McGraw-Hill Education.
Wiseman, L. ((2010). Multipliers: How the best leaders make everyone smarter. HarperCollins.
Buckingham, M. (2007). Go put your strengths to work: 6 powerful steps to achieve outstanding performance. Free Press.
Buckingham, M. (2015). StandOut 2.0. Harvard Business Review
Deaton, A. and Williams, H. (2014). Being coached: group and team coaching from the inside. MAGUS Gtoup.
Dweck, C. (2007). Mindset: the new psychology of success. Ballentine Books.
Gladwell, M. (2005). Blink: the power of thinking without thinking. Little, Brown and Company.
Goldsmith, M. and Reiter, M. (2007). What got you here won’t get you there. Hachette Books.
Holden, R. (2011). Authentic success. Hays House Inc.
Miller, J. (2004). QBQ: the question behind the question. TarcherPerigee.
Pink, D. (2009). Drive: the surprising truth about what motivates us. Riverhead Books.
Rath, T. and Clifton, D.O. (2004). How full is your bucket: positive strategies for work and life. Gallup Press.
Rath, T. (2013). StrengthsFinder 2.0. Gallup Press.
Selk, J. (2011). Executive toughness: the mental-training program to increase your leadership performance. McGraw-Hill Education.
Healthcare Safety and Quality
Gawande, A. (2011). The checklist manifesto. Picador.
Joseph, A. (2006). The role of the physical and social environment in promoting health, safety and effectiveness in the healthcare workplace. Center for Health Design, partially funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Lee, F. (2004). If Disney ran your hospital. Second River Healthcare.
Leebov, W., Afriat, S. and Presha, J. (2007). Service savvy health care – one goal at a time. Authors Choice Press.
Leebov, W. (2008). Essentials for great personal leadership. AHA Press.
Leebov, W. (2008). Essentials for great patient experiences. AMA Press.
Leebov, W. and Rotering, C. (2012). The language of caring for physicians: communication essentials for patient-centered care.
Malloch, K. and Porter-O’Grady, T. (2006). Introduction to evidence-based practice in nursing and health care. Jones and Bartlett.
Malloch, K. and Porter-O’Grady, T. (2008). The quantum leader: applications for the new world of work. (2nd ed.) Jones and Bartlett.
Mensik, J. (2014). Lead, drive and thrive in the system. Nursebooks.org (American Nurses Association).
Nance, J.J (2008). Why hospitals should fly: the ultimate flight plan to patient safety and quality care. Second River Healthcare.
Scott, K & Steinbinder, A. (2009). Innovation cycle for small and large-scale change. Nursing Administration Quarterly. Vol. 33, No. 4,335- 341.
Scotti, D.J., Harmon, J., and Behson, S.F. (2007). Links among high-performance work environment, service quality, and customer satisfaction: an extension to the healthcare sector. Journal of Healthcare Management. 52(2), March/April, 109-125.
Healthcare Magnet Designation
Steinbinder, A. (2005). The magnet process: one appraiser’s perspective. Nursing Administration Quarterly. 29 (3): 268-274.
Steinbinder, A. (2009). Bumps on the road to magnet designation. Nursing Administration Quarterly. 33 (2): 99-104.
Steinbinder, A. and Scherer E. (2010). 2nd Edition. Chapter 10; Creating nursing system excellence through the forces of magnetism. In Introduction to Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Health Care. (Eds.) Malloch, K. and Porter-O’Grady; pages 235-273.
Organizations, Culture, Change
Bennet, A. and Bennet, D. (2011). Organizational Survival in the New World: The Intelligent Complex Adaptive System. Routledge.
Kotter, JP. (2008). A sense of urgency. Harvard Business Press.
Lencioni, P. (2102). The advantage: why organizational health trumps everything else in business. Jossey-Bass.
Reichheld, F. (2013). The ultimate question 2.0. Harvard Business Review Press.
McCain, D.V. and Tobey, D.D. (2015). Facilitation basics. (2nd ed.) ASTD Press.
Schwarz, R. (2002). The skilled facilitator. Jossey-Bass.
- Association for Talent Development (formerly ASTD)
- Athena International – supporting, developing and honoring women leaders
- Center for Creative Leadership – leadership education and research
- Harvard Business Publishing – dedicated to improving the practice of management
- Health Leaders Media – daily healthcare news and analysis
- Institute for Cultural Affairs – a training and facilitation resource
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- International Association of Facilitators
- Liberating Structures – alternative to approach and design how people work together
- Kilmann Diagnostics – a resource of articles, books and materials focused on conflict management and personal success
- Leapfrog Group – voluntary program initiating improvements in healthcare safety, quality and affordability
- Patient Safety Network – national patient safety resource of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Plexus Institute – helping people use concepts emerging from the new science of complexity
- Society for Human Resource Management